Eating disorders can happen in families for lots of different reasons, there is no one reason as to why. We do know that supporting your child with an eating disorder is hard word so it is important that you look after yourself and get support too.
Family involvement and group support are key to recovery and we have professionals who will guide you through this process. Family Therapy is an important part of our approach to the treatment of eating disorders here at Ellern Mede.
Whether your child is a patient here or in another setting or if you simply want more information about eating disorders we hope the following resources will be of help.
How do I know if my child or family member has an eating disorder?
If you or a family member are worried you should visit your family doctor in the first instance. The following is a simple test used in many healthcare settings. It is written by Morgan, Reid & Lacy and called The ‘Scoff’ Questionnaire. This is not a replacement for a clinical diagnosis, but you will find it useful if you are wondering if you could benefit from medical help or just counselling to improve your relationship with food.
Answer these 5 questions honestly:
- Do you make yourself Sick because you feel uncomfortably full?
- Do you worry you have lost Control over how much you eat?
- Have you recently lost more than One stone in a three month period?
- Do you believe yourself to be Fat when others say you are too thin?
- Would you say that Food dominates your life?
Two or more “yes” answers indicate some level of disordered eating.
You might find it helpful to read our jargon buster.
If you’re struggling and would like to speak to someone, please reach out to:
- Beat Eating Disorders offers Helpline, Helpmail, One to one chats, online groups, message boards, and Echo a free peer coaching telephone service which matches skilled volunteers with parents or carers who are also supporting someone with an eating disorder. Tel: 0300 123 3355
- Childline: Tel: 0800 1111
- Papyrus: Tel: 0800 068 4141
- The Mix: Tel: 0808 808 4994
- YoungMinds: Tel: 0808 802 5544
“There is a great need in the UK for family based treatment programmes for eating disorder patients. In our many years of offering treatments at Ellern Mede Ridgeway we recognised this and have moved to provide it. We know that recovery from an eating disorder requires specialist intensive treatment. At Barnet we offer short-term residential programmes with the flexibility for the patient to remain with the same team in the Ellern Mede group and either step down or step up as their needs change.”Dr Hind Al Khairulla
Eating disorder therapies available for children and their families
- Initial psychiatric assessment of children
- Physical and Mental Health assessments including specialist tests as required (eg blood tests, scans, psychometric testing, and neuropsychological assessment)
- Psychiatric sessions with children
- Consultant psychiatrist support for the family
- Family Therapists support for the family
- Psychological therapies for children including:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Cognitive Remediation Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy
- Psychoeducational interventions
- Systemic and Family therapy initial consultation and follow up
- Family-based interventions including coaching on meal support
- Specialist Dietetic input and meal plans
Please click on icons to view downloads.
Family services can be accessed at any of our four sites. To arrange, please call our main office number 020 3209 7900.
Head Office, Ellern Mede Ridgeway
London NW7 4HX
Ellern Mede has provided specialist Tier 4 eating disorder services to the NHS since 2000. We respond to referrals within 24 hours.
Call now for immediate access to Ellern Mede specialist private eating disorder services. Accepted referrals begin treatment within two weeks or faster in emergencies.