Barnet Eating Disorder Treatment Centre
The Dolphin Programme for children: We have channelled our 16-years of specialisation into a new intensive programme incorporating family based approaches that have been evidenced as effective in clinical practice worldwide. This is a unique blend of flexible inpatient and outpatient programmes which together provide a full care pathway. This is immediately accessible to private patients.
The Adult Bulimia Nervosa/Binge Eating specialist ward for women: Women aged 16 to 30 will find this welcoming therapeutic environment dedicated solely to patients with this type of eating disorder a safe space to explore recovery.
Ellern Mede Barnet accepted its first children’s ward patients in July 2017. This comfortable, purpose-built, modern new eating disorder hospital at 2, Warwick Road, High Barnet in Greater London, introduces an innovative, intensive short-term family based programme for male and female children and teenagers with eating disorders. This offers specialised medical and psychological care, inpatient and day patient short term programmes and outpatient follow up. It is the first service in the UK to introduce this internationally proven family based programme based on a model run successfully in the United States and other countries. Our separate bespoke ward for Adult females aged 18 to 30 with Bulimia Nervosa or Binge Eating Disorder is now open.
Ellern Mede Barnet offers safe support in high quality single room en-suite facilities in this private but central location. It offers spacious family dining rooms and garden space. Visitors are welcome and we have plenty of private meeting rooms in which patient and family visits can take place.
Therapy programmes at Ellern Mede Barnet
6 Week intensive family based treatment programme for under 18s and their families
The treatment programme includes:
- inpatient and extended-day patient care
- psychological therapies (family, individual and group)
- medical monitoring
- psychiatric review
- nutritional rehabilitation
- specialist private education while in hospital
- specialist dietetic input
- meal coaching and post meal support
- skills groups for parents
- parent support groups
Who will benefit from the 8 – 18 family based programme:
- Young people with early acute onset of an eating disorders, particularly first episode or relapse after a period of stability.
- Young people who are willing to collaborate with their parents and the team.
- Parents who are able and willing to participate in this short-duration intensive programme
|Week 1||Intensive inpatient||Orientation and settling in|
|Week 2||Intensive inpatient||Building skills|
|Week 3||Intensive day patient – breakfast at home||Practising skills|
|Week 4||Intensive Day patient – breakfast and evening meal at home||Taking skills home|
|Week 5||Partial day patient||Skill consolidation and transition|
|Week 6||Partial day patient||Skill consolidation and transition|
Please scroll down to view the Adult Ward information
There is a great need in the UK for Family Therapy based eating disorder programmes. There is also a need for immediate access to care and to short-term effective discharge-focused treatment. We bring 16 years of expertise to our new offer. We know that recovery from an eating disorder requires specialist intensive treatment. Ellern Mede Barnet’s short-term inpatient and partial day programmes open up a discharge pathway for sustainable recovery, with post discharge care overseen by the Ellern Mede team.”Dr Hind Al Khairulla
2 – 5 week Adult Bulimia Nervosa symptom interruption-focused programmes
- Over 16s and up to age 30
- Female only pathway includes outpatient, day patient and inpatient options
- Male only pathway offers outpatient and day patient treatment options
- Patients consenting to treatment
- 2 to 5 week programme with one week of aftercare
- Psychiatry, Psychology, Dietetics and Nursing
- Other well being and healthcare treatments can be arranged outwith the programme
- Graded overnight leave from third week on female inpatient programme
- Aftercare will be delivered on an outpatient and partial day care basis
- A recovery record dietetic plan will be agreed at discharge
|Week 1||Intensive inpatient||Orientation, Therapies and Symptom Interruption|
|Week 2||Intensive inpatient||Intensive Therapies, Supported Eating, weekend leave|
|Week 3||Intensive inpatient (Women only)||Partial Supported Eating with graded overnight leave|
|Week 4||inpatient or day patient as required||Partial Assisted Independent Eating, home leave|
|Week 5||Partial day patient after care||Skill consolidation and transition|
Please click on icons to view downloads.
How to get to Ellern Mede Barnet
Ellern Mede Barnet
2 Warwick Road
London EN5 5EE
Ways to get to there
Warwick Road is well served by local buses including numbers 107, 307 and 326 to and from High Barnet underground train station. The station is the terminus of the High Barnet branch of the Northern line and is in Travelcard Zone 5. It is the northernmost station on the Northern line and is situated 10.2 miles (16.4 km) north north-west of Charing Cross. The next station south is Totteridge & Whetstone. For drivers, it is accessible from M25 junction 24. See map thumbnails or interactive map below.
Ellern Mede has provided specialist Tier 4 eating disorder services to the NHS since 2000. We respond to referrals within 24 hours.
Call now for immediate access to Ellern Mede specialist private eating disorder services. Accepted referrals begin treatment within two weeks or faster in emergencies.