Children’s Eating Disorder Services
Ellern Mede has specialised in eating disorders services for children since its establishment in 2000. It is renowned internationally for its success in treating children and young people with complex and challenging eating disorders including Anorexia Nervosa and Pervasive Arousal Withdrawal Syndrome. Across two sites our treatment programmes are family-therapy based, offering a complete and cohesive treatment pathway with one multidisciplinary team.
We welcome enquiries for children’s eating disorder treatment from families, GPs, other health professionals and NHS commissioners. We admit both private and NHS patients. Outpatient assessments are currently available for private clients only. Family participation plays a central role in our approach and we view parents as being a key resource in their child’s recovery. The National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) recommends family therapy as the treatment of choice for young people with anorexia.
Education in a therapeutic environment while children are inpatients is central to our service. Ellern Mede School is rated “Outstanding” by Ofsted (2018) and supports patients through to A-Level.
We accept some private medical insurance, and all payment methods. Access to outpatient clinic or assessment for inpatient care is confidential and easy to arrange. We can promise an initial consultation within two weeks of a formal GP or clinician referral provided our clinical team accepts that the referral is within a risk assessment for outpatients. We do not offer emergency private inpatient beds, however we will assess for this provided being accepted on a wait list is suitable. Please call 0203 209 7900 or email [email protected]
Specialist eating disorders treatment for children and young people
Ellern Mede’s multidisciplinary team of experts are specialists in child and adolescent eating disorders. The service provides the benefits of:
- early assessment and diagnosis
- fast access to outpatient treatment / wait list scheduled access to inpatient treatment
- personalised care packages built around individual need
- outstanding private education in our on site schools (funded either privately or by local authority)
- flexible programmes
- outpatient suitable for early intervention and post discharge support
- collaboration with community services
“Ellern Mede hospitals offer world-leading specialist children’s eating disorder services as well as an excellent school. Children will feel safe and supported in a positive, quiet environment. Parents are welcome and participate in the care programme. We can guarantee to help your child improve their quality of life despite this illness.”
Interventions and therapies available at Ellern Mede Ridgeway for children and young people
- Initial psychiatric assessment
- Physical and Mental Health assessments including specialist tests as required (eg blood tests, scans, psychometric testing, neuropsychological assessment)
- Psychiatric review
- Psychological therapies including:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Cognitive Remediation Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy
- Psychoeducational interventions
- Positive Psychology Group
- Family therapy
- Coaching on meal support
- Specialist Dietetic input and meal plans
View information relevant to children’s services
How to find us
London NW7 4HX
Ways to get to there
Ellern Mede Ridgeway is easily accessible from main motorway routes and is a short drive from M1 Junction 2 and M25 Junction 23.
Public Transport Directions:
Nearest railway station: Mill Hill Broadway
Nearest tube station: Mill Hill East (Northern Line)
Local Buses: 240 & 251
Ellern Mede has provided specialist Tier 4 eating disorder services to the NHS since 2000. We respond to referrals within 24 hours.
Call now for immediate access to Ellern Mede specialist private eating disorder services. Accepted referrals begin treatment within two weeks or faster in emergencies.