About Ellern Mede
We work in partnership with the NHS, families and other professionals and can advise and assist with NHS referrals or with those seeking private or self-pay options from the UK or other countries. Self-referrals must be accompanied by an NHS GP referral. Outpatients can only be accepted if an NHS GP referral is consistent with outpatient care being sufficient for the patient’s needs.
- Age 8-18 years in CAMHS wards
- Age 18 – 25 in Young Adult wards
- Diagnosis of an eating disorder with or without co-morbidities by an NHS GP or other clinician.
- Informal (meaning a voluntary patient)
- Detained under the Mental Health Act
- Eating disorders not otherwise specified (EDNOS)
- Pervasive Withdrawal Syndrome (PWS) or Pervasive Refusal Syndrome (PRS)
– Read the latest CQC Report for Ellern Mede Ridgeway
– Read the latest CQC Report for Ellern Mede Barnet
– Read the latest Ofsted Report for Ellern Mede School
We have inpatient and outpatient services for a full range of eating disorders and food related anxiety disorders as well as eating disorder treatment focusing on family participation including skills-based family meal support. Ellern Mede Family Services offers a new approach to eating disorder treatment, with one of the greatest degrees of family participation available anywhere in the world.
Who we treat
- Children and young people aged 8 – 18 diagnosed with an eating disorder
- Children and young people and their families
- Adults diagnosed with an eating disorder
- Adults and their families
- People diagnosed with an eating disorder and detained in terms of the Mental Health Act
- People with eating disorders as well as physical disabilities
Range of eating disorders we treat
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Food related Anxiety Disorders
- Pervasive Arousal Withdrawal Syndrome
- Inpatient High Dependency Unit
- Inpatient and Outpatient tailored packages
- Day patient / outpatient
Ellern Mede Ridgeway inpatient hospital in Mill Hill London
Ellern Mede Barnet inpatient / outpatient hospital in Barnet, London
Ellern Mede outpatient services, Harley Street, London
Ellern Mede outpatient services, Wimpole Street, London
Our Referrals Team will be happy to make appointments for you at the most appropriate service for you.
We see patients develop the confidence to face challenges that previously seemed insurmountable. We give the patient as much time as they need to grow stronger at their own pace.
Our philosophy of care
Our goal is to help the patient to develop trust in the team and use us as a resource to gain the strength, esteem and confidence to challenge the illness. We help young people manage their disorder and live their life without the disorder controlling them.
Dr Hind Al-Khairulla, Consultant Psychiatrist and Clinical Director explains: “Our therapists help people to see that the Eating Disorder is not part of their identity. We support the person to take control of their disorder. When they know they have the support of a strong group of understanding and expert clinicians as well as their family and friends, this gives them the confidence to face challenges which previously seemed impossible to overcome.”
Dr Hind Al-Khairulla, Medical Director
“Our belief is never to give up on any patient and to continue having hope no matter how unwell they may be.”
Nancy Maicoo, Registered Manager and Director of Clinical Operations
“We have a high success rate with patients because we commit extraordinary resource in terms of skilled staff, close observation and care, the best therapies and an approach that involves not just the patient but their close relatives as well.”
We encourage regular family visits
Parent: “A great big thank you to all and especially for allowing our visits to be as frequent as possible over the weekend around meal and snack times. Due to our flight times you kindly adapted the schedule to give us our quality mother and son time.”
Patient letter to Dr Hind Al Khairulla
“Thank you so much for what you have done for me. You are the kindest, most warm-hearted amazing person I have ever met. I remember the days when I used to just pace up and down. You taught me to cope with stressful situations in ways other than exercise. I’m sure hundreds of other kids will benefit from your support.”